351st Infantry Regiment
Welcome to 351INF.com
The 351st Infantry Regiment was ordered to active service in July 1942 at Camp Gruber, Oklahoma as part of the 88th Infantry Division. Formed from selective service personnel it was sent to the Mediterranean Theater where it took part in the Italian Campaign from February 1944 to the close of hostilities in May 1945. The 351st was the first all-draftee regiment to see combat in WWII.
During 344 combat days, the 351st advanced from Naples to within 70 miles of the Brenner Pass, covering approximately 585 miles of some of the most rugged terrain in Europe. It accounted for over 40,000 enemy causalities and destroyed large amounts of stores and equipment. Eighteen members of the unit received the Distinguished Service Cross, and there were 650 lesser awards for valor. Over two-thirds of the regiment received the Purple Heart.